6.28.2009

weekend trip

This weekend Kyle and I took a road-trip to Chicago to attend one of Kyle's friends wedding reception. We stayed in Madison (WI) on Friday night and then headed to Chicago (actually Rolling Meadows - northern suburb) on Saturday. We had so much fun. Here are some highlights from the trip:

1. Driving in a black car with black leather seats with no air during the summer makes me a very cranky girl

2. Part of the reason cars have tinted windows is so that people don't end up with awkward tan lines :) Kyle's car does not have tinted windows - thus he and I ended up with one of our arms/shoulders being bright pink and the other not-so-much. I seriously wish I had pictures of this to share.

3. I love the city of Madison. Especially the Terrace. The Terrace is the student union at The University of Wisconsin. While we were there we had the most amazing ice cream that students make from scratch. And from scratch I mean they raise the cows, milk them, pasteurized the milk, and make the ice cream. How cool is that? Talk about fresh.

4. Kyle took me to a super romantic place called The Edgewater. It is an older classy hotel that is right off of Lake Mendota. We went right at sunset and listened to live piano music in their lounge. It was super romantic ;)

5. Madison also has an awesome farmers' market. We ate the best squeaky cheese curds, bought some Wisconsin made maple syrup, ate yummy pastries (i love the jalapeno cheese bread - yum!), and did some serious people watching.

6. There is not one Target in Illinois. Kidding. But seriously - we waited until the last minute to get our wedding gift and when we got there the people at the front desk of our hotel were morons and could not give directions to save their lives.

By-the-way this is the conversation Kyle and I had before we left town:

ME: Hey I didn't get a chance to stop at Target today so we need to stop before we head out of town.

KYLE: (In super whinny voice) But I just want to get out of town! I'm sure there are tons of Targets we can stop at on the way. We really need to leave so we can beat traffic...

ME: (Hesitantly, because I know how this will work out) OK, if you say so.

KYLE: Trust me... it will be fine.

7. The reception was great. It was at a park and we played lots of games like ladder golf and bags. The food was amazing too! Tyler (the groom) chose all of his favorites from Chicago (kind of like a "Taste of Chicago" thing). Yummmmm-Y

8. Before we headed back to MN we were able to have brunch with my good friend JP and his fiance Katie. I got to meet their new baby Cooper. He is two months old and just the cutest kid ever! He was such a good baby all through our meal. I can't wait to visit again!

9. If you buy a book-on-tape that was on sale - it was probably on sale for a reason... because it sucks. But it was 6 hours long and occupied our ride home :)

Here are a few pictures (very few, if you haven't caught on yet - Kyle hates taking pictures) from our weekend adventure:



The Edgewater Hotel



Lake Mendota



The Capital Building



One of the only pictures I could get of Kyle and I.

2 comments:

Chelsey Howard said...

Interesting trip:) I'm glad you guys had fun though, that sucks about the tan line thing though (lol).

angela hardison said...

I know exactly what you mean about the tan lines. My left arm is always darker than my right for that very reason; it's hilarious.

Sounds like a fun trip! I love Chicago.